Skip to main content

Trader Joe's Grecian Style Eggplant with Tomatoes & Onions


Vegetables in a can. Whooooo..how exciting. Probably not something I would have picked up from the shelves, but HEY sometimes TJs purposely samples products that aren't selling well that you would otherwise overlook. 




Is this an actual thing in Greece? I wonder. 


The eggplants are bathing in oil. Yum. 


Grecian style but made in Bulgaria. And vegan. 


How appetizing. At least it looks better than cat food. 


Took me three months or so from purchase to actually crack it open, which tells you how excited I was to eat this. I served it on some baguette slices. A hates eggplant, so he was unable to give a helpful opinion on this matter. Very sweet and tomato-y, mushy, and oily. Sure there's some pieces of onion in there, and it would have been nice with some roasted red pepper, but what gives? Honestly, it reminds me of a Mediterranean version of the canned foods my mom eats with congee (usually pickles, sardines, other unrecognizable but salty foods). The baguette thing got old for me. It would have been weird in congee. I ate it eventually with spaghetti squash and realized there's a reason why people leave out eggplant from spaghetti sauce (just didn't complement my sauce or my meatballs even though it was tomato-based). 

You're supposed to serve this as an appetizer, but it's not the prettiest food in the world. It doesn't really resemble a baba ganoush at all. It's too heavy for a chip or a cracker and definitely needs a hefty piece of bread to transport this to your mouth. Can't say it's the most delectable form of eggplant but not the worst either. It's aiite I guess. *shrug*

$1.29 per can. I suppose party appetizers could do worse.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Grecian Style Eggplant with Tomatoes & Onions. Vegetarian appetizer in a can for your next party. How scintillating. 5 out of 10. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Crispy Crunchy Mochi Rice Nuggets

THE PACKAGING THO. HOW CAN I RESIST THAT. 

I immediately thought of School of Rock of course. What nuggets have to do with a band, I don't know. Is this another attempt at cultural appropriation? Perhaps not! Leave it to the Japanese to connect random things together usually in an ingenious way. Also, the singer says "Crispy" while the drummer says "Crunchy." THAT IS TOO CUTE. GAHHH I'm sold. 

Trader Joe's Matcha Green Tea

Dear reader, you may notice in the coming days that there are changes coming to this blog. Not nearly as dramatic, controversial, or dlfjepotigfjad;lkgjadsf (for my readers not as fluent in internet speak, that was a keyboard pound of frustration) as say, the government, but changes nonetheless. Mostly because there is coming a day where I will not live within a stone's throw of a Trader Joe's store. A sad sad day. But probably a good day for my wallet. :P 

Trader Joe's Umami and Ginger Paste

I'm a big fan of the condiment section at TJ's, not because everything is ridiculously good but you can really find some hidden gems and get a good bang for your buck. ;D 
I cannot vouch for all of the spices and condiments - like salt, soy sauce, sriracha (no I haven't tried TJ's brand sriracha) I would buy elsewhere. However, because most of the spices have the same $1.99 flat price, you can get decent deals on things like curry powder, turmeric, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon sticks, and ground ginger.