Trader Joe's Pumpkin Cornbread Mix

Continuing the quest to review seasonal pumpkin products without having to ingest overly pumpkin spiced products that might make me gag! Somehow, cornbread passed the test. 




Ever since that Pumpkin Spice Coffee incident, I've been ever so cautious about pumpkin products. That was my only caffeine source during a long night, the second 8-hours of a dreadful 16-hour day. Just imagine -- it's 3 am, I can't form grammatically correct sentences anymore, and *PFTT* WHAT IS THIS COFFEE?? Went straight to TJ's at 8am that morning to return it and never looked back. 


I've been spoiling the office lately by popping in with random baked goods, usually from scratch now that I've mastered my baby Choo Sarang. On a side note, I really need other non-food-related hobbies. It's not healthy to be tasting potato chips all the time, but I'm not really trying to stop. Kale consumption compensates for that, right? Anyway, in this particular occasion I didn't have time to break out the mixer, so I went for the boxed mix. Took no time at all; in fact washing the dishes took longer than the actual time it took for assembly. Just add 2 eggs, 1/2 cup oil (No applesauce-oil switcheroo here. This is cornbread. I tried to do it the right way for the most accurate review), and 3/4 cup milk. Hmm..saying this out loud, I might have skimped on the milk a little, but I can't remember for sure. Baking pre-caffeine is living life on the wild side y'all. :P 


This filled my kitchen with a really strong, pumpkin spice aroma, but all the package says it contains is "spice." Baking time takes ~35-40 minutes. My cornbread came out on the crumblier, cakier side (probably because I skimped on the milk), but it was still moist. Cornbread falls somewhere in the gray area between savory and sweet. This, however, definitely leans sweet. It was like a pumpkin bread/cake/muffin with a corny taste and texture. I'm probably more inclined to have it with coffee rather than turkey and mashed potatoes. Most of my coworkers LOVED it, but then again they say that about most TJ's things I bring. I take a more conservative "meh" here. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Pumpkin Cornbread Mix. It's not real cornbread duh, but not bad as a corny bread/cake. Harharhar. 5 out of 10. 

Comments