Trader Joe's Sweet Sriracha Uncured Bacon Jerky


Nearly a month later, I still find myself reminiscing over San Francisco. The weather. The food. The Trader Joe's. See here on the East Coast, if you buy something like Speculoos ice cream it'll elicit some kind of response from the cashier like, "omai it's so dangerously addicting it's like crack." Over there, I had one cashier comment on every single item I purchased (no wonder the checkout line was long), that is except for this one.  Maybe she was vegan? Considering SF, the hipster lifestyle, the environmental consciousness, AND Trader Joe's, I'd say the chances of that are high. 

(I'd be really impressed if one day TJ's came out with vegan jerky. Sounds like an oxymoron.) 





I love how there's a picture of a pig on the package, in case anyone thinks bacon grows on trees or something. It's beautiful. 


6 grams of protein! For bacon jerky! (And a fourth of your day's sodium...whatever)

The husband wanted to try this. Typical. But I actually ended up liking it more than he did! Which is surprising. I think A was disappointed that it didn't taste more like bacon, which is an unrealistic expectation. Where do people get the idea that bacon jerky = bacon? Only bacon = bacon. It's basic addition y'all. 

That said, I've purchased TJ's jerky for other people but never really had it for myself. I think this one will make me a jerky convert. I'm neither a jerky nor bacon connoisseur, but I do enjoy a nice slab of bacon every now and then. This was nice and chewy, smoky and salty with a balanced sweet and spicy flavor. It wasn't overly spicy but had just enough kick. Kind of sticky too. A very nice ending to a four mile hike. It was on the saltier side though, so I wouldn't be able to eat through the whole bag myself. It comes out to about $5.99 per bag, which is fair for a "specialty" jerky. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Sweet Sriracha Uncured Bacon Jerky. It's not bacon but it's darn good. 7.5 out of 10. 

Comments