Trader Joe's Sweet, Savory & Tart Trail Mix Granola Bars

It's amazing how they fit that entire name on such a small box. Perhaps it was the number of times I used the word "crunchy" in my last post or my never-ending need for grab-n-go breakfast foods that has spurred this review. The only thing I remember about my last encounter with TJ's granola bars was that it was traumatizing enough for me to shun TJ's granola bars for at least a year. Unfortunately, I cannot remember which granola bar it was, but I assure you it wasn't this one!




At least there's little room for misinterpretation with this product name. However, I wouldn't say it's salty, and it's definitely more chewy than crunchy. I do like the simple packaging. Makes me kind of want to have it with some coffee and apple slices! Does packaging influence a food review? Not really, but I'm probably more prone to buying things in nice-looking packaging.


I picked this up, thinking it would PROBABLY be a good dupe for my favorite granola bar on the market, and I was right! It's not exactly the same but it would satisfy the same cravings I have for the fruit & nut bar. However, there are some noticeable differences.

TJ's:
- See picture below. This bar is only a wee bit longer than 3 inches. Women wear shoes with heels bigger than this granola bar! I like my granola bars a little longer because I like to think that I'm eating more than I actually am.
- Contains craisins instead of raisins, which explains why this bar is sweeter and more tart. It's actually a little too sweet for my liking.
- Although this bar has peanuts, cashews, and almonds, the nuts are not as visible compared to the competitor, which provides a less substantial crunch.
- This bar has chocolate chips whereas the other one does not. I'll take that.
- This bar seems more squeezed/compact, with more rice crispy type cereal than oats, which is reminiscent of the bulk chewy bars my mom used to put in my school lunch. Not my favorite.


At first glance, $2.49 for a box of 6 doesn't seem like that good of a deal, but considering that the sale price of my favorite one at Target is currently $2.79 for the same number of bars, it's not that bad.



While it's not my favorite granola bar by any means, I found it fairly decent, convenient, and reasonably priced.  I eat it more as a snack rather than breakfast most of the time, because let's be real - no one can subsist on a 3 inch granola bar until lunch. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Sweet, Savory & Tart Trail Mix Granola Bars. A less crunchy, more tart, tinier Fruit & Nut bar dupe. 6.5 out of 10. 

Comments