Trader Joe's Chocolate Covered Sea Salt Butterscotch Caramels

I came up with an adjusted rating scale for sweets to compensate for my inherent bias towards the salty crunchy. I call it "vitamin status." It's a level of awesomeness that surpasses my normal taste preferences such that I could theoretically eat the sweet thing everyday, like a vitamin. Or more than once a day if it's really good. Do I love vitamins? Meh. Are vitamins lovable? Not conventionally speaking, but I tend to have them everyday for maintenance rather than some "deep soul fulfillment" need. At my house, we're used to taking vitamin supplements that need reconstitution -  a process lazy people tend to skip unless it's conveniently made available to you. But gummy vitamins! I like those!  I've definitely eaten more gummy vitamins than the daily recommended dose because of the mere fact that they were gummies. But then am I eating the gummy or the vitamin? Hmm...

I'm so behind on reviewing things I've already tried that I'm avoiding purchasing new items until the old ones have been reviewed. In theory. Spring cleaning and trying to cut down the clutter with the "one-in-one-out" rule. Except I violated that "rule" already yesterday because Easter is a'comin and so are my salty crunchy snacks! 

J introduced these to me the last time we had dinner together! Which was such a while ago that I can't remember when it took place! One of those pleasant "oh, surprises!" that I was not expecting.




TJ's got this packaging down pat. Pretty light blue color. Hipster modern calligraphy to emphasize "sea salt butterscotch (SO TRENDY!)." A tiny window in the bag to see what you're getting. 


Normally, I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to butterscotch and caramel. At the end of the day, having it for me is the same as not having it. But this! I savor it. It has kept me going through several late nights. I allow it to dissolve in my mouth and take me on a journey to the core (that ultimately ends up stuck to my teeth, but whatever).The dark chocolate capsule, with a hint of sea salt (more subtle than flashy. It's not always detectable but sometimes it says peekaboo from a dark corner), gives way to a sweet butterscotch caramel center. And yes, it's both! (Caramel is made from melted granulated sugar whereas butterscotch is made from melted brown sugar). 

I'd say this is good enough for vitamin status. Meaning I don't LOVE them but they're reliably good enough to have everyday,  if I wanted them everyday. One bag at $3.49 isn't too bad considering the quality you're getting. My only complaint - I wish the dark chocolate were a shade darker to tune up the contrast between the bittersweet chocolate and the sweet butterscotch caramel.  

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Chocolate Covered Sea Salt Butterscotch Caramels. A pleasant journey to the core.  This trailer at 1:59 is kind of exaggerated but does say it all. 7.5 out of 10. 

Comments