Trader Joe's European Style Lowfat Yogurt

Fear not. I consumed this yogurt long before that expiration date. But maybe that wasn't the first thing that caught your eye. Perhaps I have too much experience with expired dairy products. If y'all have dropped New Years resolutions already, don't worry! Chinese New Year was recent enough to give you an excuse to clean out your fridge. :D 

I consume TJ's yogurt mostly out of necessity. It's pretty affordable and fills my stomach with something when I don't have time or the appetite to eat a real meal. Most of the time I like my yogurt Greek-- thick, creamy, and a bit tart. Thick yogurt resembles solid food more closely than thin yogurt, which is why I prefer it. 




"European style" signaled bougie to me, which meant I must try. I was thinking maybe it could be a super fancy Greek yogurt, but I suppose European could mean anything from the EU. Imagine my surprise when I opened the container to this. A solid looking mass with a film on top. Looks like a Chinese pudding snack. 



Looked much better after stirring of course. It seems to me European style yogurt is even thinner than regular yogurt - which means it's the polar opposite of what I like texturally. But I'll admit while it was borderline watery, it was smooth and creamy. The internet says preparing yogurt in one big vat instead of individual cups allows it to be stirred for a creamier product.  



At the time of purchase, only two flavors were available - the mocha and chocolate. So indulgent sounding! Not too sweet, but my, it was odd!  I happen to like tart yogurt, but tart chocolate? Tart mocha? I haven't seen a tart chocolate flavor at a froyo shop. This is one of those things that tastes kind of weird in a fascinating kind of way. Good or bad thing, I'm still undecided because it wasn't repulsive enough to stop me from eating it. A vanilla or fruit-flavor would have ideally been more palatable, but maybe they were going for avant garde?

At $0.99 per cup, I'd rather buy the greek yogurt cups or shun TJ's (gasp) and pay a little more for the good stuff at another retailer. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's European Style Lowfat Yogurt. Tangy chocolate/coffee is kinda weird y'all. An acquired taste. 6 out of 10. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for the info. I just opened a TJ yogurt and thought it had spoiled. I must prefer a thicker yogurt. This will go in the trash.
    I read Siggi Icelandic yogurt is good and thick. Amazon Fresh will deliver from Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment