Trader Joe's Hot & Spicy Chicken Wings

So this happened. Wait what? The queen of vegetables and wings?? 




My fiancé A happens to enjoy wings, a lot (that's grossly understated). Weird things happen when you start dating. Even more so when you get engaged and married. It's like a minor form of brainwashing. You do and eat things you probably would not have before on your own accord, and you might actually enjoy them! Sometimes. And all the married folk said, "Amen."


Anyway, this here happens to be a "new item," that under normal circumstances I would never buy for myself.  But hey, this blog needs more meat! Which means I had to not only buy them, I also had to lure A into reviewing them with me! Which was not hard to do, because let's be real, what meat-eating man turns down wings? So rest assured, diehard wing-eaters, I have consulted a self-proclaimed expert.


According to A, a good chicken wing must be three things: 1) Hot (spicy) 2) Fat and 3) Crispy. And of course, they must be on the bone. That goes without saying, and fortunately these were bone-in. 

How did Trader Joe's fare?
Hot? Yes. 
Fat? Well they were certainly FATTY - lots of skin, but not enough MEAT (says A). 
Crispy? Of course not! They're from a bag! I'm sure if you actually fried these, then they would probably be crispier. 


Prep was easy. Defrost, then bake at 375 for about 25 minutes or until heated through. Celery not included y'all. $5.99 for bag with 9 wings, which comes out to about $0.66 per wing. A says $0.50 per wing counts as a good deal, so for this price point you're probably better off doing half-price apps at Applebees or Fridays. 

Overall, A thought these were "nothing special," like any other frozen bag of chicken wings; he gave it a 2.5. I thought they were pretty good and thought they deserved at least a 3. But then again I went the first two decades of my life without having tasted a buffalo wing. What do I know? 

Me: But can I just say that if you WERE going to get a frozen bag of wings, these are great! NO ANTIBIOTICS, and the chickens were fed a vegetarian diet! RIGHT???
A: *still not impressed face*

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Hot & Spicy Chicken Wings. This is no Wing's over Trader Joe's. 5.5 out of 10. 


Comments

  1. Oh boy!!! Just discovered these. 3 months ago. I am fully addicted to them. I eat the whole bag by myself. No wonder I gained weight. The BEST way to cook them perfect and very crispy. 400 degrees. Put in the oven frozen. 20 minutes on each side. PERFECT! The BEST wings I've EVER had. Can't stop eating them. Had a friend try and they also said they were DELICIOUS! Very CRISPY if you cook the way I said.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment