Trader Joe's Cornbread Stuffing Mix



Thanksgiving was so last month, and by the time this post goes live, you probably won't be able to this stuffing mix in stores anymore. Which is a shame. What if I want a Thanksgiving meal in July? I guess that's what Boston Market is for. 




Now, to be fair, I'm not much of a stuffing aficionado. I only have it a couple times a year, and I only started eating it a few years ago. Oh stuffing, why have I not found you sooner. Bread and butter in an even more delectable form. I would imagine stuffing made from scratch tastes better than the box, but you can't know what you're missing if you've never had it. Like that speculoos ice cream. Speculoos and stuffing are completely unrelated, I know. 


So to be as fair as possible, I bought two boxes and prepared it according to the box directions both ways - oven and stovetop. Either way, the prep involves melting an entire stick of butter, which is the only way to go. Paula Deen was onto something y'all. 


Oven method, prepped with 3.5 cups liquid. The box states 3.5 cups for a drier stuffing and 4 cups for a more moist stuffing. It was average. Looks like croutons. Tasted moderately better than croutons, And who uses cornbread to make croutons? I did not taste any cornbread flavor whatsoever in this "cornbread stuffing mix."



Stovetop method, prepped with 4 cups liquid and some sautéed celery and mushrooms. Is it necessary to sauté the veg in butter? YES. Mushrooms and butter are a match made in heaven y'all. The veg made this stuffing a whole lot more interesting, so I'd recommend dressing it up. Man does not live on croutons alone! The stovetop method could have done better without the excess liquid, because it turned out softer than I would have liked. Next time, I would use 4 cups liquid for the oven and 3.5 cups liquid for the stovetop. 

Overall, I thought it was good. I'd probably buy it again mostly because I'm too lazy to make the stuffing from scratch, not because this stuffing was out of this world amazing. It is after all from a box. If done right, I'm sure it could look moderately impressive for a holiday dinner, just minus the labor. Talk about minimum effort for maximum yield. $3.99 per box isn't too bad for 12 servings. And for only $2 more, you can get it gluten-free! But like I said, at this point, stuffing is a mere afterthought. With Thanksgiving gone and the holiday paraphernalia assault in full swing, I have not seen this product on the shelves in weeks.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Cornbread Stuffing Mix. Compatible with a lazy Thanksgiving. Butter not included. Y'all. 6.5 out of 10. 

Comments