Trader Giotto's Kale, Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Pizza

What have I learned from shopping TJ's on an empty stomach? Nothing apparently. Everyone knows the stomach takes over the decision-making process when empty. That's what happened here. I came hungry, found these at the free samples counter, decided it was decent, and purchased. Plus, I LOVE kale, so I fell into the free sample trap. For the record, free samples are a scam. Except for the time TJ's offered speculoos ice cream. That stuff deserves to be sampled everyday.




As for this pizza, I was hungry when I bought it and hungry when I ate it. Normally, I naturally veer towards vegetable-laden items, especially if there's kale involved. But as my stomach was making decisions for me, I craved meat flavor that this pizza could not deliver. 


I get it. Trader Giotto's was going for the autumn harvest feel with this pizza. Sweet potato provides a pleasant sweetness, and they REALLY loaded this baby with kale. I couldn't taste the parmesan shavings well, but I did see them sprinkled sparsely. Also, the CRUST! Does not taste like frozen pizza crust! The crust alone is why I will sample more TJ's pizzas in the future. That and it only took 15 minutes to cook. Lazy girl's best friend! 


The pizza measures about 9 inches across. It claims 3 servings. Very small servings. $3.99 for a small pizza? I think I'd spend that on a pizza with meat. This isn't bad as a snack or appetizer, but it lacks sustenance for a meal. I cut this into a few slices, ate the first as is, and ate the subsequent slices with buffalo wing sauce. Sriracha would work too. 

TL;DR: Trader Giotto's Kale, Sweet Potato & Butternut Squash Pizza [with Parmegiano Reggiano Cheese]. KALE PIZZA with some other autumn harvest stuff. How about venison next time? 6.5 out of 10. 


Comments