Skip to main content

Trader Giotto's Kale, Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Pizza

What have I learned from shopping TJ's on an empty stomach? Nothing apparently. Everyone knows the stomach takes over the decision-making process when empty. That's what happened here. I came hungry, found these at the free samples counter, decided it was decent, and purchased. Plus, I LOVE kale, so I fell into the free sample trap. For the record, free samples are a scam. Except for the time TJ's offered speculoos ice cream. That stuff deserves to be sampled everyday.




As for this pizza, I was hungry when I bought it and hungry when I ate it. Normally, I naturally veer towards vegetable-laden items, especially if there's kale involved. But as my stomach was making decisions for me, I craved meat flavor that this pizza could not deliver. 


I get it. Trader Giotto's was going for the autumn harvest feel with this pizza. Sweet potato provides a pleasant sweetness, and they REALLY loaded this baby with kale. I couldn't taste the parmesan shavings well, but I did see them sprinkled sparsely. Also, the CRUST! Does not taste like frozen pizza crust! The crust alone is why I will sample more TJ's pizzas in the future. That and it only took 15 minutes to cook. Lazy girl's best friend! 


The pizza measures about 9 inches across. It claims 3 servings. Very small servings. $3.99 for a small pizza? I think I'd spend that on a pizza with meat. This isn't bad as a snack or appetizer, but it lacks sustenance for a meal. I cut this into a few slices, ate the first as is, and ate the subsequent slices with buffalo wing sauce. Sriracha would work too. 

TL;DR: Trader Giotto's Kale, Sweet Potato & Butternut Squash Pizza [with Parmegiano Reggiano Cheese]. KALE PIZZA with some other autumn harvest stuff. How about venison next time? 6.5 out of 10. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Matcha Green Tea

Dear reader, you may notice in the coming days that there are changes coming to this blog. Not nearly as dramatic, controversial, or dlfjepotigfjad;lkgjadsf (for my readers not as fluent in internet speak, that was a keyboard pound of frustration) as say, the government, but changes nonetheless. Mostly because there is coming a day where I will not live within a stone's throw of a Trader Joe's store. A sad sad day. But probably a good day for my wallet. :P 

Trader Joe's Umami and Ginger Paste

I'm a big fan of the condiment section at TJ's, not because everything is ridiculously good but you can really find some hidden gems and get a good bang for your buck. ;D 
I cannot vouch for all of the spices and condiments - like salt, soy sauce, sriracha (no I haven't tried TJ's brand sriracha) I would buy elsewhere. However, because most of the spices have the same $1.99 flat price, you can get decent deals on things like curry powder, turmeric, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon sticks, and ground ginger. 

Trader Joe's Crispy Crunchy Mochi Rice Nuggets

THE PACKAGING THO. HOW CAN I RESIST THAT. 

I immediately thought of School of Rock of course. What nuggets have to do with a band, I don't know. Is this another attempt at cultural appropriation? Perhaps not! Leave it to the Japanese to connect random things together usually in an ingenious way. Also, the singer says "Crispy" while the drummer says "Crunchy." THAT IS TOO CUTE. GAHHH I'm sold.