My Rating System

Q: How did you devise your rating scheme?

Excellent question! My rating scale was inspired by What's Good At Trader Joe's? blog. They seem to know what they're doing and have been reviewing items much longer than I have. Actually their rating scale also inspired the rating scale my boyfriend and I use to rate new restaurants that we try. Which is kind of irrelevant to what I'm doing here, but I like it and decided to adopt something similar for the TJs products I review.

I plan to review things by myself but also with the help of friends, because 1) I don't have the stomach capacity to eat EVERYTHING that I buy from TJs, 2) my sister who would help eat my food is away at school, and 3) it's nice to get a second, third, fourth, etc. opinion. 

When I review something by myself, I rate it on a scale of 1-5 (with only 0.5 intervals allowed), 5 being close to absolute perfection, double it, and come out with a number from 1-10. BUT WAIT, why don't you just rate it out of 10 and be done with it? This is a silly reason, but it's too hard for me to rate it out of 10! Actually rating it on a smaller scale (like 1-5) helps me to rate it at a bigger scale (1-10) because of the fewer options available. Yes, it's harder for me to rate something a 6 out of 10 than to rate it a 3 out of 5, double it, and come to a 6 out of 10. BUT WAIT, why don't you just rate it out of 5? I'm too indecisive to rate out of 10 but need the 1-10 scale for a satisfactory rating system. A 2.5/5 vs a 2.5/10 mean completely different things. One is average, and the other is abysmal. 

When I review something with someone else, we will both give a number from 1-5 and add them together for a rating out of 10. 

When more people review? I have each person rate out of 5 and end up taking all the ratings into consideration and come up with a number on the spot. It's more or less math-based, but let's face it--everything on the internet is subjective anyway. :D 

Comments