Trader Joe's Ground Fermented Black Garlic

Every now and then, TJ's issues a product of real substance that doesn't get nearly as much internet love as it should. I'm talking about black garlic, an ingredient that I basically associated with fine dining and fancy food publications until TJ's brought it to town. Also, I'd like to thank Black Girls At Trader Joe's for this recommendation. When a girl goes on the internet and shows off her collection of 100+ seasonings, I know she's serious. :P 

Honestly this product is an enigma. I still don't know really want to do with it to unleash its full potential. This isn't one of TJ's typical seasoning blends that is "ready-to-use" for indiscriminate sprinkling - things like Everything but the Bagel, the chile lime seasoning, Elote, etc. 


It just doesn't feel right to use this on avocado toast or on eggs or basically any other application that I use with the everything but the bagel. I feel like this seasoning is meant to season - like give it some oomph and complexity in the flavor department. This seasoning is anything but basic. It's like the difference between reading the book vs. watching the movie vs. watching a TikTok on the book/movie. 

I also concede that this is probably not the same level of intensity as whatever black garlic they use in the restaurants. But I can't get my hands on that, and I can maybe get my hands on this when it comes around the TJ's shelves. 

1) This black garlic doesn't come in a powder like garlic powder - the granules are a little bit bigger. 

2) It smells like Shin ramyun. Why and how? I have no idea. It just does. The resemblance is uncanny. But no, it does not make everything taste like Shin ramyun. 

3) It's garlic but with extra funk. No it's not the super obvious funk like stinky cheese or kimchi or other fermented food - it's like a subtle funk that carries a certain je ne sais qois or depth of flavor that you can't really attribute to anything else. Is it extra umami? Not exactly. Like I said, I don't really understand it well. But it does make food taste better. 

4) I suppose you could be basic and put it on avocado toast. But I feel like that's an underuse of its actual potential. Kind of like when you put a really really good actor in a badly written role - the role or character doesn't really do justice to the actor's ability. 

5) My favorite application of this product so far has been the seasoning of the block of feta in the oh-so-popular baked feta TikTok thing. No, I'm not on TikTok and I refuse to do so. But I'll stay aware of its existence. 

6) $2.99 for a 1 oz jar - this is a seasoning I plan on stocking in my cabinet. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Ground Fermented Black Garlic. I am here for the subtle funk! 9 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? Bring me moaaaaaarrrrr. 

Comments

  1. My fave use for this epic TJ product is the BEST compound garlic butter EVER! As you would make regular garlic butter with parsley and fresh minced garlic, adding a wee bit of fermented black garlic to the mix takes it to the next level! It is a subtle, but notable, difference...you will not regret it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment