Trader Joe's Organic Sparkling Apple Cider Vinegar Beverage: Ginger + Lemon and Lemon + Strawberry

If there was a Trader Joe's fashion week, I would totally go. By fashion week, I don't mean Trader Joe's employee attire (although I would TOTALLY spring for a Trader Joe's reusable cloth face mask. Surprised that they haven't made that product yet. :P) I mean like a product show - kind of like how Apple makes a whole show out of introducing the newest tech (which is basically the old tech with a few minor modifications they could have totally introduced with the last two editions but didn't because stringing out the releases makes more money). But TJ's doesn't run like that as a company. Even so, they stay on top of food trends and whatnot. I ranted a few years ago about TJ's advertising organic apple cider vinegar (ACV) as a "detox drink," mostly at how dumb the concept was but totally in line with trendy health fads and how it was mostly a money-making scheme (organic raw apple cider vinegar + organic raw manuka honey + cayenne pepper + lemon will run you like $15+ and you haven't even accumulated any solid food yet). At least this time, they've packaged the ACV nicely and made it into a beverage. A little rebrand and package makeover can certainly make me amenable to trying new things. 
Except it's not really new - if you've tried kombucha or any of the kombucha-like offerings of late (like this, this aqua kefir, or any variety of GT's) that is. Kombucha is fizzy by nature because of the active cultures. This beverage lacks any of the active cultures so the carbonation has been added, soda-streamed if you will, for the user experience. 

In any event, if you're trying to curb sugar or a soda habit, this might be a better alternative. While it's not completely sugar free, it is sweet enough and much better compared to a conventional soda. 

I picked up both flavors - the ginger lemon and strawberry lemon. 

Note that the strawberry lemon flavor does have a tad bit more fruit juice than the ginger lemon, but the nutritional profile is basically the same. 

1) For me, both drinks are reasonably pleasant. Because I've had kombucha and I like kombucha, though I've stopped drinking it regularly because I'm trying not to destroy my tooth enamel anymore with so much acid (very sad. very sad. I'm very sad about this). So if you like kombucha or a sour taste, you will probably enjoy both drinks. 

1b) If you are like my husband A, who does not value the sour taste as highly, you will likely not like this or any kombucha drink for that matter. 

2) The ginger lemon is basically a dupe for the classic GT's gingerade flavor. It's sweet, spicy, and a bit sour.  It even smells like kombucha. I'm not sure I could distinguish this sparkling ACV drink from the GT's gingerade kombucha in a blind taste test. 

3) The strawberry lemon smells fruitier (like a...strawberry lemonade perhaps? I'm so shocked..) and tastes more like juice. I like the taste, and it does have that sourness from the ACV. 

4) These ACV drinks don't produce any ill effects or anything for me- I just don't like the feeling of the ACV in my stomach. Perhaps because I've tried to cut down on acidic food, my stomach is not used to the acidity anymore. Sigh. 

5) I can see both beverages employed in mocktail or cocktail drinks. Note that the carbonation here is definitely milder than a seltzer or conventional soda. 

6) At $1.69 + tax, both of these drinks are cheaper than a bottle of kombucha. So it's probably worth trying if you want to try kombucha eventually but are intimidated by the taste. Though keep in mind, there aren't any probiotic benefits from this ACV drink. ACV isn't generally harmful, but it's not something that's going to magically help you lose weight or lower your cholesterol (though if you're drinking this instead of soda, you might lose weight lol). The evidence supporting the benefits of ACV are weaksauce. But if it makes you happy and doesn't ulcerate your stomach, why not? 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Organic Sparkling Ginger + Lemon Apple Cider Vinegar Beverage. Trader Joe's Organic Sparkling Lemon + Strawberry Apple Cider Vinegar Beverage. Fruitier kombucha-taste minus the booch. I miss the booch. 7.5 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? Maybe for a fancy drink add-in. 

Comments

  1. The lemon strawberry one tastes very similar to GT's strawberry lemonade kombucha too (also available at TJ's!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment