Trader Joe's Blueberry Vanilla Chevre (Fresh Goat Cheese)

Nothing says springtime like goat cheese. Maybe. The weather around here feels more like winter, so is it spring? I have no idea. 




Elsewhere I have sung praises for goat cheese, because what is life without cheese. To the vegans and the lactose intolerant, y'all are seriously missing out. Thanks to CYu for requesting a review on this gorgeous blueberry goat cheese. I mean look at that color. What a beauté


The coloring comes from wild blueberries and grape juice, so no funky chemical coloring here. That's nice. I must have glossed over the label that stated "blueberry vanilla chèvre," because straight away that's a mild turn-off for me. Part of the reason I like goat cheese is because of the savory creaminess, so introducing sweetness is not something I would normally like. 


I absolutely love the gorgeous violet ombre pattern, but this cheese is not too friendly for kids or clumsy adults. The whole log is covered in blueberries and it crumbles easily,  leaving blueberry stains kind of everywhere. Be aware - it can get messy! This is meant to be more of a "dessert cheese," a post-dinner splurge I suppose. Do the French eat vanilla infused goat cheese? I have no idea. I did enjoy the tart blueberry flavor but the vanilla was honestly too overwhelming for me. It definitely overpowered the savory goat cheesiness I normally enjoy. I would be willing to try this cooked up in a cheesecake or even an ice cream (yes, goat cheese ice cream is apparently a thing), but I didn't really care for it as is just on crackers. Needless to say, A is not a cheese person at all, so he wasn't even interested in trying this to provide a second opinion. 

That said, this might appeal to people with a bougie-leaning sweet tooth. Might go well with wine and Say Yes to the Dress (or whatever reality tv show goes well with wine and sweet cheeses). I'd personally pass on repurchasing this for myself but would tuck this away as a hostess gift or something of that nature. It's too pretty to pass up. 

Do y'all like dessert cheeses? Is that a thing? 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Blueberry Vanilla Chevre. Blueberry covered dessert cheese with a vanilla punch. I wish I liked it more because it's so pretty! 5.5 out of 10. 


Comments

  1. Trader Joes Blueberry Vanilla Goat Cheese is so Delicious with the wild Blueberries & a slight tinge of vanilla & a lovely tang taste ... I enjoy it as a snack with a water cracker & will continue to buy it...it'll be great for a taste at a party!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment