Trader Joe's Plantain Croutons with Garlic and Sea Salt

My first introduction to croutons was the school cafeteria salad bar in like the second grade. It was the same place I also discovered ranch dressing. I'm not sure which one was more life-altering, perhaps the ranch. Anyhoo, it didn't occur to me until years and years later that croutons were made out of bread. Stale bread that someone was too resourceful to toss. For a few years, my mom conceded to purchasing those croutons that come in a packet, and then we learned that croutons and bacon bits (also from a plastic jar) were not actually good for you. So we nixed them from salads and only ate them in copious amounts at Ruby Tuesdays (y'all. those croutons soaked in olive oil are so good). Fast forward to 2021 where if you can think it, you can make it happen, even when it makes no sense. Why not the plantain crouton? 

Trader Joe's is the place that I was first introduced to plantain chips. They've since stocked a sweet version, a jerk-seasoned one, and a dark chocolate covered one that I haven't tried cuz...it hasn't struck my fancy.

I wasn't aware that croutons could be...not vegan. But sure, alternative diets are kind of a must in 2021. These might be "healthier" since the ingredients are pretty simple. 

This picture is here to convey my displeasure towards the fact that "product may settle during shipping." Meaning, the bag is mostly air and there's actually a lot less volume than you think. 

1) These plantain croutons are so teeny tiny and really really crunchy. I'm not sure that I, one who loves a nice hefty crunch, enjoy the mouth workout that this requires. It's almost like trying to eat a lego. Definitely something that a little kid could choke on or stuff into a bodily oriface, so keep away from toddlers y'all. Also definitely not great if your dentition is poor. 

2) The plantain taste is a little jarring at first. A did not love this, mostly because the plantain flavor is unexpected. Once your brain adjusts to the fact that this product tastes like plantain and not bread, it's actually quite pleasant. They are starchier than a regular crouton but lower in sugar/carbs. It's super garlicky and nicely salted but not overly so. 

3) Honestly, I prefer to snack on these right out of the bag. They would disappear in a salad. Haven't tried them in soup, but that would hold up well and not disintegrate immediately. 

4) I find them overall pleasant but not so life-altering that I must must must purchase them every single trip. Also, note that one bag has TWENTY SERVINGS. How???

5) Still, $1.99 per 5 oz. bag of a cool, different crunchy healthy-ish thing with nice pink packaging that you can't get anywhere else!


TL;DR: Trader Joe's Plantain Croutons with Garlic and Sea Salt. Not for small children or geriatric teeth. Super super crunchy plantain legos. I mean croutons. 7.5 out of 10. Mantou Joe repurchase? Maybe. 

Comments