Trader Joe's Cold Brew Coffee Bags

Sometime in the past year, I went from being a "wannabe coffee snob" to "layperson-just-need-some-Joe-any-Joe-to-get-me-through-the-day" and back to "wannabe coffee snob." Why? At some point I realized that I don't even drink half of the coffee that I make. I get up for work, make a fresh cup of coffee, take a few sips on the way in, and leave the coffee mug in the staff lounge where I don't have the time to pick it up again until 3 or 4 am. And do you really want to reheat coffee that's been sitting around for 8 hours? Ew. So instead of wasting money on delicious coffee that I like (that is somehow going to go down the drain anyway because I physically can't finish it all), I started buying the cheap stuff - pre-ground, French vanilla, functional but very plebian. Nothing wrong with that y'all. Except when I realized it was unfit to serve my coffee-bean-discerning friends, I went out [to Whole Paycheck of all places], bought a better bean home, and wondered what in the world have I been drinking. No wonder I didn't enjoy my old coffee much because TBH it doesn't taste that good without cream or sugar. Why not drink better coffee in smaller quantities - for taste AND function? 



Oh hello there. You must be new. Bright acidity, notes of berry and molasses, and Kilimanjaro single origin? All buzzwords and also words that don't particularly appeal to my preferred taste. But intriguing? Oh yes. 


I'm no coffee expert. I don't care about the exact grind of the beans, the exact grams of water, how many times and in which direction you stir the water, etc. But the idea that you can brew GOOD cold brew from a coffee bag? That sounds suspicious. Especially since it means that the beans have been pre-ground and have been sitting around for an undisclosed amount of time. It's not a new concept either - apparently Dunkin Donuts carries their own too (but have you tried DD cold brew? I'm staying away). 


I don't own a vessel that can hold 7 cups of water. Plus, if you make 7 cups at a time, you'll run out of coffee sooner and have to buy more more frequently, so I made half a batch per package instructions in my French press.


8 hours later I had this. Intriguing. I also did a 12-hour brew to see if I could taste a difference. Now the internet and every coffee aficionado will tell you that when it comes to making cold brew, SO MANY THINGS MATTER. I have no idea the size of this grind - hopefully and probably coarse (a fine grind produces a slimy, sludgey product apparently). But since TJ's is a place for people who like to cook but not too much and those who like to try fancy nice things without the elbow grease of a DIY-hipster - NOT TO WORRY. The directions work! 


When I make my own cold brew, I usually like 12-hour cold brew compared to an 8-hour brew because it's marginally smoother and less acidic. I couldn't really tell the difference here between and 8 and a 12-hour, but I think going forward I'll stick to a 12-hour brew simply because I'm wired to think that a 12-hour brew is better. My first impression of this cold brew is exactly what I thought - ugh too fruity and acidic for me. So the first batch I doctored with milk/cashew milk (but not that cashew milk). But after I got used to the taste, I found it enjoyable and comparable to any $5 cold brew I've had in any standard hipster cafĂ©. In fact, the fruitiness is growing on me. It's light, smooth, and not at all charred. Which is to say - TJ's has landed on a user-friendly but bougie enough product to satisfy just about everyone. Unless you take your coffee as coffee-flavored milk. Then I can't help you. This here is good enough to drink black. 


I can't say that this Kilimanjaro single origin medium roast would be something I would drink hot, as a pour over or drip coffee. The cold brew process has managed to remove a lot of the acidity while maintaining a decent flavor profile, which you more discerning folks can explain to me while I smile and drink my coffee.

In any event, even if you didn't like this particular flavor, I'd have to recommend this based on price alone. $5.99 for 14 cups of cold brew? That's $0.43 per cup! You can easily spend $4 at Starbucks for a comparable but less tasty version. And yes, while you need to think about this ahead of time, it is a no-brainer dump and forget about it kind of thing. I made it while I brushed my teeth before bed.  So easy and compostible too. And while this won't replace my normal cold brew making entirely (it is still cheaper to make it myself and this is not my preferred type of coffee), I'd repurchase in a heartbeat just for the convenience.

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Cold Brew Coffee Bags. Fancy coffee with all the flavor and no fuss. Whaaaat. 8 out of 10. 

Comments

  1. While this won't replace my normal cold brew making entirely it is still cheaper to make it myself. The burlap Coffee bags often have the name of a co-op printed on them alongside a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very Glad to visit your informational Post! Stand up pouches are available a spread of shapes and sizes. Stand up pouches fold flat when empty and saving money on freight costs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. However other methods exist for Coffee packaging, they're much less effective as one-way valve bag packaging. Some examples are a pinhole packaging so that the gathered carbon-dioxide to flee using a pinhole. Like this, it is likely for oxygen to say hello to the bag exist.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment