Trader Joe's Icelandic Style Nonfat Yogurt (Plain & Strawberry Flavors)

We are quickly approaching the [colder] season where we celebrate and spend time together by filling our bellies with copious amounts of delicious comfort food. And also when people ask me what they should get from Trader Joe's, I tend to recommend treats and special foods that are probably best consumed in moderation. Why? Uh..because it's good? Granted, there are tasty and healthy foods available, but realistically, who is going to drive 45 minutes to a Trader Joe's for some salad and yogurt? Not me. But if I happen to be at a Trader Joe's, lactose or no lactose, Ima try a new yogurt, especially if it has nice packaging. :P 



My current favorite yogurt is Siggi's, which was one of the first companies to commercialize Icelandic yogurt ("skyr") in the States. What's the big deal? I don't know much about Icelandic yogurt in general, but Siggi's managed to make a yogurt that is low in sugar, high in protein, incredibly thick and delicious, and without all of the taboo artificial ingredients that health-conscious people avoid. The liquid whey in Icelandic yogurt is strained even more than Greek yogurt such that the end result is ultra thick and creamy. The only downside is that Siggi's usually runs somewhere $1.50-$2 per serving, so I was pleased to see TJ's come out with their own version at $1.39 each.


Only two flavors are currently available - plain and strawberry. I promise I finished them before the best by date. :P


Right away I noticed that this yogurt definitely has more sugar than Siggi's, which would explain why the strawberry yogurt is 190 calories per serving while being nonfat. Definitely something to watch out for if you're watching your sugar intake. 

In usual fashion, I found the plain yogurt to be a bit much. It wasn't nearly as tart as a plain Greek yogurt but still kinda pungent in taste. My choice of toppings also didn't help. I tossed in some cacao nibs (which did nothing for me btw) and a drizzling of almond butter. It would probably be better with some sweetness from honey or fruit. The strawberry yogurt on the other hand was DELICIOUS. Sure, it could have been the sweetness, but the strawberry flavor in this was legit. It reminded me of the flavor from a good strawberry ice cream, one where you can imagine and taste the fresh strawberries that went into the making of this. Add on the creamy, thick texture and you've got a decadent treat. Unlike the plain yogurt, I didn't feel like I was eating yogurt with the strawberry one. It felt and tasted more like a treat than something healthy. 

That said, I personally think Siggi's is still better. Siggi's has an excellent flavor selection with the best texture (thick and smooth but not heavy and almost mousse-like) while not needing all of the sugar. And while this Icelandic yogurt is good, I wouldn't say it's an exact dupe for Siggi's. I also like the TJ's European style yogurts better (thinner consistency like traditional yogurts, more tart taste), which you can get in single-servings as well as bigger tubs. I probably wouldn't repurchase again (the lactose intolerance consequences have to be worth it y'all :P), but it's not a bad buy at all. It all comes down to a matter of preference of how thick you like your yogurt and how much you care about added sugar. 

TL;DR: Trader Joe's Icelandic Style Nonfat Yogurt. Skyr for less. Thick, creamy, and protein-packed. Plain flavor 6 out of 10. Strawberry 7 out of 10. 

Comments

  1. Part of why theTJs has more sugar is TJs is 8oz cup and siggis is 5.3 oz cup. I actually can only tolerate thick strained greek yogurt or this, somehow it doesn't upset my lactose intolerant tummy. I always get plain and then my favorite is to add defrosted raspberries which adds flavor without much sugar.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plain is great to substitute for mayo and sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the plain as a sour cream substitute. I love how thick it is and if I use it on things like potato I cannot tell the difference between it and sour cream

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment